Tuesday 9 September 2014

Book Talk Tuesday

Ever get to school, go to welcome your students, only to realize you now have a new student, mid year, and unable to speak English? <Insert panic feeling here>

So how do you help that student?  

Start with an I Spy book.  



I Spy books are a great way to look at common items and learn the word for each object.  As students begin to point to objects and recall the correct word for each object, they are ready to try and associate written words to the objects... remember...this takes time. 




Students who are new to the English language can work with friends to point out pictures and learn new words.  


 These books are a simple, yet fun way to help introduce students to a new language. 



1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea for my students with IEP goals in language. We've been practice carrier sentences using photographs, but I'm sure they'd like the I Spy books more! Thanks for the awesome tip :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete